Recovered from Trauma - Physical Exhaustion

We are all here, worked, still working, or will work to heal traumas. This is an essential part of self-development and growth. Lessons that we’ve agreed to experience. I’ve brought some information for those who will heal from trauma and how this can affect you physically. This is often overlooked part. You feel great mentally, but your body is saying something else.

Has anyone experienced that already and is happy to share it?

The Aftermath: Physical Exhaustion Once the Fight or Flight Mode Subsides

It’s crucial to understand that once your system shifts out of chronic “fight or flight” mode, you might experience a profound sense of physical exhaustion. This is an often unanticipated yet critical stage of the healing journey.

Imagine running a marathon for an extended period, only you didn’t know you were running it. Your adrenaline kept you going, fueling your body to face the trauma’s recurring threats or emotional challenges. Thanks to therapy, self-care, and spiritual practices, you’ve essentially crossed the finish line when the fight or flight response finally calms down. The adrenaline rush recedes, and what’s left is a body in desperate need of recovery.

Your body might yearn for more rest, sleep, and downtime to rejuvenate. This isn’t a setback; it’s a natural part of the healing process. Your system is coming down from a prolonged period of high alert, and it needs time to restore and regain balance. It’s as if your body says, “Now that I know we are safe, I need to repair.”

Why Is This So Important?

Overlooking this need for physical rest can obstruct the full spectrum of your healing. Failing to honour this biological need could lead to relapse or the manifestation of other symptoms. The healing process, while liberating, is also energy-consuming. This is where the combined wisdom of psychology and spirituality becomes especially relevant.

Psychologically, give yourself permission to rest without feeling guilty. Consider this rest as part of your treatment plan.

Spiritually, think of this time as a sacred period of recuperation. You’re not just sleeping; you’re engaging in restorative rest. You are allowing the body and soul to repair themselves, to weave together any frayed threads in your energetic fabric.

As you move through this phase, it’s more important than ever to be gentle with yourself. The need for extra rest is not a sign of weakness but a hallmark of genuine healing. It’s your body’s way of acknowledging that a transformative process has occurred, which now necessitates a period of quietude and peace for full integration.

I hope that this clarifies why the experience of exhaustion, far from being a negative outcome, is a pivotal part of the journey to wholeness and well-being. May you honour this crucial period with as much attention and respect as any other stage of your healing journey.

7 Likes