Ultimate Compassion

https://www.maitreyastore.com/p/ultimate-compassion/

Having compassion for oneself is really no different than having compassion for others. Think about what the experience of compassion feels like. First, to have compassion for others you must notice that they are suffering. If you ignore that homeless person on the street, you can’t feel compassion for how difficult his or her experience is. Second, compassion involves feeling moved by others’ suffering so that your heart responds to their pain (the word compassion literally means to “suffer with”). When this occurs, you feel warmth, caring, and the desire to help the suffering person in some way. Having compassion also means that you offer understanding and kindness to others when they fail or make mistakes, rather than judging them harshly. Finally, when you feel compassion for another (rather than mere pity), it means that you realize that suffering, failure, and imperfection is part of the shared human experience. “There but for fortune go I.”

Self-compassion entails being warm and understanding toward ourselves when we suffer, fail, or feel inadequate, rather than ignoring our pain or flagellating ourselves with self-criticism. Self-compassionate people recognize that being imperfect, failing, and experiencing life difficulties is inevitable, so they tend to be gentle with themselves when confronted with painful experiences rather than getting angry when life falls short of set ideals. People cannot always be or get exactly what they want. When this reality is denied or fought against suffering increases in the form of stress, frustration and self-criticism. When this reality is accepted with sympathy and kindness, greater emotional equanimity is experienced.

Self-compassion also requires taking a balanced approach to our negative emotions so that feelings are neither suppressed nor exaggerated. This equilibrated stance stems from the process of relating personal experiences to those of others who are also suffering, thus putting our own situation into a larger perspective. It also stems from the willingness to observe our negative thoughts and emotions with openness and clarity, so that they are held in mindful awareness. Mindfulness is a non-judgmental, receptive mind state in which one observes thoughts and feelings as they are, without trying to suppress or deny them. We cannot ignore our pain and feel compassion for it at the same time. At the same time, mindfulness requires that we not be “over-identified” with thoughts and feelings, so that we are caught up and swept away by negative reactivity.

16 Likes

Well, that’s a field everyone should definitely have in their playlist. And what every politician, manager and all persons who have power in high positions that could change the world would have to carry this in a 30 day storage item with them before they can take office.
Unfortunately, people like you and me are more likely to hear it. And so far it’s only little things that we can do. It is not yet in our power to be able to redeem all the misery in the world.
But I also see the potential of being a ticket to the 5th dimension in this field. Where connection with everything that is is a given. Of course, this is also the case here, but we have not yet perceived it that way. So much of the misery that happens in this world is not consciously realized.

9 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

“Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong”.

“When you base your expectations only on what you see, you blind yourself, to the possibility, of a new reality”

-Zaheer (Legend of Korra)

5 Likes

I’m not sure on feeling others pain more . Isn’t that more like empathy? I think theres a difference between empathy and compassion. You can have too much empathy, but I don’t think you can have too much compassion. Doesn’t the feeling others pain (com-passion) refer more to empathy than compassion?
I’m already empathic and dont want to feel other peoples pain even more, that’s why I’m asking.

@Maitreya

2 Likes

I think that less meant to be more emphatic. Although it can certainly strengthen existing emphatic abilities. But what is meant here is more the aspect of being more compassionate and more careful with oneself. And if you are more compassionate with yourself, this also affects your environment and fellow human beings. Because you react very differently than someone who is bitter and full of anger and hatred.

However, one shouldn’t confuse compassion with pity. One thing leads to wanting to help another while pity tends to lead to self-pity and regret for oneself, which in the end does not lead to helping the other person.

4 Likes

Step 1 is sympathy - “You’re in pain, that sucks…”
Step 2 is empathy - “I know what your pain is like because I’ve felt it too…”
Step 3 is compassion - “I recognize your actions are caused by your own pain and troubles, so instead of holding them against you, judging you, or engaging in conflict with you, I will help you in love”

8 Likes